Thursday, August 13, 2009

And Then There Was 2

So almost everyone in the original group has left Venezuela, and it´s only me (Pio), and Julian. It´s interesting to be in Venezuela without a set plan or program. We are starting to get a feel for how the locales live in the Barrio.

Javier (Mirleny´s son) bought a bollywood movie called ´Mission Istaanbul´ under the mistaken impression that it might be a movie with a serious political context. I felt bad to tell him that the movie was a pretty silly action movie. We watched it today and I was suprised to see that even a silly Indian action movie could carry across cultures. Mirleny´s youngest kids seemed to be entranced by the action oriented ´spectacle´. It´s not all about the political revolutionary process, sometimes people just need to sit back and enjoy a dumb movie for entertainment.

Afterwards we went to the ´Mothers of the Barrio´ office to work on the mural. It was interesting watching Julian work, I would really like to organize more political murals in Toronto. I was so exhausted I fell asleep at the desk as Julian worked. We came back and were taken by Mariela and the girl´s for free beers at a local spot in La Vega. It was nice sitting around with the locals in the La Vega equivelent of a patio.

In Solidarity,
Pio

No comments:

Post a Comment