Friday, August 14, 2009

Mural Done, Church, and Nuevo Circo.



Last night was an interesting night. We watched Max Manus, a movie about Urban Geurrillas fighting the Nazi occupation of Finland. Mid-movie we heard several gunshots in La Vega, a stark reminder of the violence (political/drug related) that plagues Caracas. Julian finished designing the Tattoo for me, looks amazing.


Got up early ate and went out to the Madres de Barrio office with Julian and finished up the Mural. Looks amazing, I´ll take a picture of it and post it tomorrow. On the way back we stopped by a Catholic church we saw, it was pretty quiet but there was a statue of Christ during the ´Stations of the Cross´ but in regal attire which was amazing, took my breath away. I´ll try to go back and get some pictures of it as well.

Afterwards we went by Nuevo Circo(Aerial view on top) and checked out the art work there. Nuevo Circo was an old abandoned bull ring which was illegally occupied by local youth and returned to the commons as free public cultural /artistic /recreational /musical space. It´s singularily amazing. Probably one of the most unique and ´revolutionary´ processes of popular organization I have ever seen. A must see for any student of revolutionary process. The largest single wall of graffiti in South America is located there too. I´m gonna return there and take a lot of pictures to upload. Hopefully I´ll get to attend one of the cultural events and maybe even hang out there for a bit.

In Solidarity,
Borracho

No comments:

Post a Comment